Complete Cricut Design Space 101 tutorial for beginners - Let's start designing!
Being a DIY junkie, the best day of my life was when I discovered Cricut design space. From customizing T-shirts to making my personalized trays, there’s nothing I have tried yet and ended up not falling in love with!
Although I now find Cricut design space super easy to work with, I remember back in the days when I was new to it I had to go through a ton of tutorials and guides before getting into my first Cricut design project. So, here is your ultimate guide if you are new to Cricut and looking for instructions to begin with!
Let’s begin by familiarizing you with the basic things you need to know. For instance, what is Cricut design space 101, and what a Cricut machine is?
Cricut Design Space 101 or let's call it CDS 101
Now this is the software that lets you design millions of your projects. It’s ideal for people who are super creative and love personalizing their things. Cricut design space gives you free access to tonnes of images and fonts for you to choose from. At Cricut design space you get to play with different images, colors, fonts and shapes to make your own design (even upload those free svg files that you have been collecting), and then you send it to the Cricut machine for the next step!
What is a Cricut Machine?
A Cricut machine is electronic and it can cut out your designs on different materials such as vinyl, paper, cardboard, or iron-on transfers. With the help of a Cricut machine, your designs are cut flawlessly and effortlessly. All you need to do is connect your machine to your computer, send in the design to the machine and wait for it to cut!
Now that we have the know-how of the basics, let’s discuss:
Here How do we get CDS?
Getting Cricut design space is a piece of cake! Just follow the following steps to gain access to the design space:
1. Open your browser and go to design.cricut.com
2. Click on the download button you see on your screen.
3. Once the download is complete, go to the downloads folder and open the file.
4. Grant your device permission to launch the app.
5. Once launched, open the app and sign up with your email address.
P.S: For android or IOS, simply go to Google PlayStore or Apple Store to download the Cricut design app!
Although Cricut design space is free for its users, they do offer memberships. The subscribed members get access to premium photos, fonts, styles, and shapes!
Wondering what to do next? Here are some things that you can begin with to know your way around the Cricut design space:
What can I do with Cricut Design Space?
With Cricut design space, you can design anything that comes to your mind. Although it depends on the type of Cricut machine you own too. But to just give you some knowledge, you can use the design space to make your personalized:
1. T-shirts, socks, hats, and canvas shoes.
2. Wall art, trays, and signs.
3. Tote bags and cushion covers.
4. Cards and bookmarks!
Coming on to the most important part,
How do I use CDS?
- Once you’ve logged into your design space account, you will land on a screen with many designs.
- From there, click on the new project button and you will be directed to a canvas. This is the place where all the magic happens!
- On the tab at your left, you will see several buttons. I’m gonna tell you what each of them does in order! First off, the + button directs you to a new canvas.
- The second button provides you with all of the templates which allows you to choose what you intend to design.
- Then, you can move on to the images button through which you can add pictures to your design.
- You can resize and rotate your selected image once it is placed on the canvas.
- Similarly, we have the add text button and the upload button through which you can upload the media of your choice.
- Once ready, you can send it to your Cricut machine and get it cut!
Looking for a video walkthrough?
If you are more of a visual learner and you need a walkthrough on Cricut Design Space, you are in luck! I have created a Beginners Guide to Cricut Design Space video series on our Youtube Channel that you can check out on September 20th. If you are interested in catching that series, be sure to click our channel here.
This guide is only for beginners who want to know the basics about Cricut design space. Remember that no tutorial can help you know your way around design space the way you can navigate yourself by exploring all the options and buttons. So, go and design your first project because practice makes a WO-man perfect 😉